According to Chinese herbal medicine, one of the most common causes of infertility is a problem with or a deficiency in the kidney. In fact, in Chinese medicine, a kidney deficiency is the most common diagnosis in infertility.
In Chinese medicine, the kidney is considered the main root of our Qi (chi) which regulates reproduction and is considered the seat of procreation, the vitality center of the body. A weak Qi, or kidney function, affects the quality and development of eggs, and impacts the ovaries and uterus.
A kidney deficiency is often a result of poor diet and stress.
Here are various ways to cleanse and strengthen the kidney:
- Make sure you are working on cleansing and detoxifying the liver, because a healthy, clean liver results in a healthy, strong kidney.
- Find an acupuncturist who is experienced in working with kidney deficiency and its impact on fertility.
- Stop all coffee or limit coffee intake to no more than a cup a day.
- Avoid carbonated beverages, artificial sweeteners and excessive amounts of dairy products.
- Limit red meat.
- Reduce sugar and sodium in your diet. Stop potato chips, crackers, cheese spreads, deli meats and instant potato mixes.
- Kidney problems are often the result of stress, chronic anger and shame, so it is important to release and free yourself from these feelings. Journal writing, prayer, forgiveness of yourself and others, are all steps that can begin the healing process.
- Dandelion tea is known to help flush toxins from the kidney.
- Cod liver oil contains high levels of Vitamin D that strengthen the kidneys.
- Foods that regenerate the kidney include chestnuts, strawberries, walnuts, raspberries; black, kidney and mung beans, fennel, onions, beetroot, garlic, ginger, cloves, red bell peppers, cabbage, cauliflower, dandelion, blueberries, red grapes, and wild salmon.
- Add lots of flaxseed, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds to your diet.
- Walnuts and chestnuts enhance the kidney’s function.
- Spirulina, kelp, chlorella, and wheatgrass are good for the kidney.
- Eat lots of asparagus and other deep green leafy vegetables.
- The herb Nettle is known to strengthen the kidney.
- Drink lots of water.
- Limit alcohol intake. Do not overtax your kidney with too much alcohol.
- Juice cabbage, parsley, cucumbers and ginger.
- Eat more apples, cranberries, olive oil, and onions.
- Stay away from high-sodium foods.
- Milk thistle is a great nutrient for the kidney.
- Staying hydrated is very important to flushing out toxins in the kidney.
• Eat large amounts of watermelon for a few days.
- A Chinese herbalist can provide herbal formulas to clean the kidney.
- Burdock tea helps removes waste from the kidneys.
- Dandelion tea is known to help cleanse the kidneys.
- Ginger root and turmeric tea is good for the kidneys and can be made by boiling some turmeric powder with peeled ginger root.
- Grapes and cranberries. Grapes help flush uric acid and other waste products from the kidney. Cranberries contain quinine, which the liver converts to hippuric acid, which in turns helps remove urea and uric acid from the kidneys.
- Apples are often used as a home remedy for kidney stones.
- Garlic is a natural diuretic that helps flush out kidneys.
- Cucumbers are a natural diuretic that can dissolve kidney and bladder stones.
- Onions can help pass kidney stones.
- Kidney beans and peas contain arginine, an amino acid that helps cleanse the kidney of ammonia.
- Make sure you are getting enough Vitamin C, Vitamin E, calcium and B-6.
- Keep your blood pressure, blood glucose level, and cholesterol levels in healthy ranges, so your kidneys are not overtaxed.
- According to natural healers, the emotion that seems to impact the kidney the most is fear. Some believe that chronic fear and anxiety in childhood impacts the health of the kidneys later in life. To release fear, begin to embrace your life with courage. Welcome life! Do not push it away or hid from it.
In Chinese medicine, the ability to use our will power to express our unique creativity is also dependent on good kidney energy. With a strong kidney qi, we will have the resolve to overcome fear and pursue goals. A weak kidney results in a shaky sense of purpose and one who is easily distracted. Feeling stuck and not letting go is also sometimes the emotional root of kidney disease. The kidneys can store deep sadness, which can in turn result in illness. It is important to work on letting go of anger, fear, and traumatic, painful memories. Bring balance into your life in whenever way you can. Enjoy natural beauty and lots of rest. Spend more time enjoying natural bodies of water, such as lakes, oceans, and rivers. Keep a bowl of water with flowers nearby.
- Get a foot massage. Ask the massage therapist to stimulate and massage the kidney point on the foot that will revitalize the kidney qi.